Out-Sourced Storage & Content Management Usage
Internal Cost Considerations
- Physical cost of storage media
- Support/maintenance contract costs can vary, particularly if from application vendors!
- Obsolescence always a concern
- Migration costs to newer media can be substantial
- Staffing cost to oversee infrastructure
- Other priorities may jeopardize capital availability
Sourced Cost Considerations
- Cost per Terabyte may be higher than internal
- Outsourcer responsible for support costs (staff, maintenance contract, obsolescence, etc.)
- Telecommunications cost – who is responsible?
- Migration costs could be substantial to switch vendors or bring in house