- All the Tags in the DICOM Header are ordered in numerically ascending order by Group and Element within Group.
- There is a “Sequence” structure defined that contains Tags and other Sequences in numerically ascending order. (This structuring allows numeric restarts and information nesting)
- A “Sequence” has a Tag number (Group, Element) that is ordered with the other Tags of its parent’s Tag.
- A “Sequence” can have multiple “Item” clusters of Tags.
- A Multiframe Pixeldata Tag has a special form of “Item” structuring made up of “Item Start” and “Item End” coding.
- Pixeldata can be one byte, two byte integer, four byte floating point, three byte (color – RGB), or three byte (color – YBR).
- The Transfer Syntax specifies these details.
- Color Pixeldata can be packed with RGB interleaved for each pixel or grouped as planer data for Red, then Green, and then Blue.
For more information about developing a Vendor Neutral Architecture, the VNA Institute of Technology, or to enroll for CPHIMS (CE) Continuing Education Hours, visit http://www.vnait.org.
For information about TeraMedica, visit: http://www.teramedica.com